My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Laoshe Teahouse is the Best!


I discover the hostel can sort out a train ticket for me and so with great ease (and a bit more cash!) a train ticket to Hanoi is in my hands! Hurrah, what joy!. I seek out the Laoshe Teahouse (nearby and good rep.) and spend a while in amazement at the wonderful surroundings, atmosphere and the great expanding and everlasting cup of 'Seven Sons Congratulate on Mother's Birthday' tea ( I got a wierd look for that one!) and listen to some Chinese folk Music. Then out and about on my newly hired bike - the way to travel; quick/dangerous, green and cheap (10 yuan a day) and no brakes to worry about. Off to the temple of Heaven Park (Tiantan) and Henrick and I wander and marvel at the beautiful pagodas, wierd tree bark, people walking backwards (the new craze!), recycling bions, muscians and try to find the divine kitchen. The sun is going down and sheds a beautiful light on it all. A quick cycle back in the darkness - no lights - and much craziness and stop at a great street cafe for quick food. A pick and mix veg., dumplings and random glutinous stuff all cooked in a big bubbling pot before our very eyes and then we (or may I say Henrick) entertain the locals by trying to eat this slippery, watery but very tasty meal with chopsticks. Then back to Laoshe Teahouse for the night show, Kung Fu! Oh yes, we are in China no doubt, Opera, mask/face changing (my favourite!), fabulous costumes, drum opera (not sure about this one!), Kung Fun fighting/boxing, magic, comedy (didn't quite get it but looked like Chinese version of the Two Ronnies in their day!), some nearly rapping all accompanied by lots of tea and wierd nibbles and cold rice pudding - all for 80 Yuan (bargain - and we got the Kung Fu guys autograph!).

1 Comments:

At 12:18 pm, September 18, 2006, Blogger LimePulp said...

Hi Babs

Good old hostels, glad you got the next train ticket sorted out..

Are you sure its the people walking backwards and not just something that they put in your tea? Why would they want to walk backwards? maybe they are just trying to remember the route home...

If you paid more for the bike would you have been able to get one that had some brakes, I know they put a lot of faith in they religious beliefs but riding bikes with no brakes is just asking for trouble, at least it probable only has one gear so they won't be able to go to fast..

Keep collecting all the great memories and hopeful some fantastic photos.

Lots more of Love and Luck

Steve XXX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home