My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

004 Trans-Mongolian Express 5th September - 7th September



I was helped on the train at Yaroslavsky station (quite a dodgy area nearby, lots of drunks, police and urine!) by a Russian and an English guy who spoke Russian, that I had met. I started to meet everyone; surrounded by Dutch and Swedes who are all lovely and great fun. I am in carriage 11, there is no carriage 1, 2, 3, 4 or 12 (never discovered why no 12! - I tried to ask the Chinese conductor but he ran away !? (we became better friends later on though...) The cabin is small so it is cosy but compared to the bus there is acres of space! Days pass easily, reading ( i borrowed The Idiot (Dostoevsky), but never finished it sadly), eating, walking up and down the train, chatting to other travellers, getting off at stations and milling about, playing games, playing music, listening to a few Kalinka's (thanks to my cabin mates! - Red Army version best I think!) It goes surprisingly quickly. The views are amazing (sorry I can still not sort out photos!), Russia is so huge and empty. Lots of trees (pine and silver birch mainly) and then open plains, a few small villages and a couple of large towns. The villages are so beautiful, I love the houses and the little veg plots but they seem quite empty of people and so isolated. I start to think that this railway line is an important link for people living here for communication and employment. There is a lot of nothing, not even fields of crops or animals like in the UK - nothing but nature, I love it! (I can't tell you about the whole trip at once, so more soon....)

2 Comments:

At 10:16 pm, September 12, 2006, Blogger LimePulp said...

Hi Babs

Really glad you found some people who speak english to talk too on this leg of the trip. Couldn't imagine you not talk to anybody for to much longer, its the best way to find out about the people and culture of a country.

Hope you have been practising your Australian, I know its a hard language to understand but give it a go, your need to learn to understand it for all the interviews that you are going to have to do when you get down there.

Images are I bit hard to post with this blog site, haven't worked it out myself yet so look forward to you either posting some when you get to Brisbane or to seeing all of them when you get back to Sunny England and Wales, yes I did say Sunny, it was nearly 26 degrees in Northampton yesterday, ok its cloundy and a bit wet again now but one day clear dry sunny day a year isn't to bad.

Hope your weather stay lovely and sunny for you on the next leg.

Lots of Love & Luck

Steve XXX

 
At 11:50 pm, November 10, 2006, Blogger LimePulp said...

Hi Babs

Quick question, where have you posted an image of one of the bedrooms in the Eco Cabins at CAT????? very odd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home