My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Reply to all my wellwishers (or not!)

Wow, Thanks everyone for all your comments, even the bad ones, even though I think it is pretty unkind to make pathetic and rude comments about my life, and whether I shave my legs or not. It is these kind of attitudes which just reflect how our world is going to pot. To those of you who think I haven't researched this then you are wrong, I have spent a lot of my own time and a lot of generous time from my friends to help me do this. I am not relying on any money from anyone to help me, I have earnt it all myself the good old fashioned way and worked. I have worked at the Centre for Alternative Technology for the last year and a half and there they have been working for a long time with other partners to calculate the carbon emissions and environmental damage of all different types of transport. The calculations we have made based on this rigourous scientific study show that my one way trip will create 1.4 tonnes of carbon dioxide as compared to 5.2 tonnes on a flight. This is still a lot I know and yes the best thing would be to stay at home, but this is a really special occasion, one of my best friend's wedding, and I haven't taken this decision lightly. I will still do what I can to offset these emissions and on the return hope to get more sailing in, which is very clean. I am not trying to preach to you about how you should live your lives so don't preach to me, this is what I believe in and I am going to follow it, so if you can't help or wish me luck then find somewhere else to look. Thanks Babs

5 Comments:

At 12:42 pm, August 21, 2006, Blogger Paddy said...

Hi Babs,

I think you are doing just fine and I wish you all the best to your trip. I have your blog in my RSS feed, so I will be up-to-date
Although I wouldn't hesitate taking a plane around the world, I would definitely do your trip just for the experience that you are about to face. I have met a guy who had travelled via Moscow, Beijing, Bangkok and Delhi to Nepal just by train and buses, so there shouldn't be much of a problem.
BTW, your project was featured on the German web site of "Der Spiegel", Germany's equivalent to TIME magazine.
A good reason to love the internet ;-)

Take care on your trip, and be sure there are plenty of people who'd just love to be walking in your shoes right now.

Cheers,
Paddy

 
At 4:54 pm, August 21, 2006, Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Pob lwc gyda'r daith

All the best with the trip

 
At 9:53 am, August 22, 2006, Blogger Brad McMahon said...

Well done!
I think you are doing a great thing and are going to have a real adventure.
Much better than sitting on a stinky plane in "cattle class" for 15 hours. I have flown the UK route a couple of times and it really is horrible.
Maybe, if there is a next time, I'll take the long way!

 
At 10:17 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger toler said...

good luck you crazy girl ;-)

 
At 10:59 am, September 04, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Babs,
I came across your site today as I am trying to plan a similar journey to Canada. It's certainly not as easy as the low-cost carriers!
I'd like to say that it's great to know that there are those out there with similar visions! Good luck on your journey and I look forward to reading about your adventures, particularly what it's like spending all that time on trains and ships.
Take care of yourself
Dana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home