My aim is to travel from the UK to Brisbane for one of my best friends' wedding. Plane travel is so environmentally damaging so I am looking for another way. I also think that by travelling over land and sea I will be able to understand our world better as I will connect with the people and landscapes and not just look at the departure board in the airport. Any tips gratefully received!! Departure date 1st September.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Air vs. Overland in CO2 Emissions

All this interest and debate around the issues of climate change and the damaging effects of air travel is really important. Some of you have questions about the facts that I am basing my inspiration on so here are the comparative emissions of air vs. overland based on my journey.

If you have any other queries please check out www.cat.org.uk or other links.

Machynlleth - London:
230 miles, by coach = 20,700 grams CO2

London - Moscow:
1924 miles, by coach = 173,160 grams CO2

Moscow - Beijing:
5772.8 kilometers, by train = 418,528 grams CO2

Beijing - Hanoi:
1710 miles, by train = 198,360 frams CO2

Hanoi - Nougkhai:
400 miles, by bus = 36,000 grams CO2

Nougkhai - Singapore:
1639 miles, by train = 190,124 grams CO2

Singapore - Darwin:
2350 miles, by ship: 285,760 grams CO2

Darwin - Brisbane:
2143 miles, by coach: 192,870 grams CO2

Total: 1,646,232g CO2 = 1.65 tonnes of CO2

This is based on average carbon dioxide emissions for various types of transport:
Grams of carbon dioxide per passenger kilometre:

Rail = 72.5g
Bus/coach = 56.25g
Ferry = 76g

The emissions from a one way flight would be at least 3.7 tonnes of CO2 (see www.chooseclimate.org) or a more detailed calculation (taking into account the type of aircraft) can be made by www.atmosfair.com and calculates and one way flight would emit 6.1 tonnes of CO2.

The contribution made by transport, especially air travel, to greenhouse gas emissions is growing more evident daily. Air transport is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gases (currently producing 3.5 percent of all greenhouse gases from human sources) and is set to more than double in the next 15 years. The Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research (www.tyndall.ac.uk) has suggested that it will be impossible for the UK to meet greenhouse gas reduction targets if air travel continues to grow.

The alternatives are to take more holidays closer to home, or take the train or coach. A lot of people wouldn't have the time to do what I’m is doing but its quite easy, for example, to get down to Spain on the train in just over a day.

12 Comments:

At 1:49 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger Matt Sellwood said...

Dear Barbara,

I've just read the Independent as well - good on you, very inspiring story. I work for the Climate Outreach and Information Network - www.coinet.org.uk - feel free to pop round if you're ever in Oxford. :)

Cheers,

Matt

 
At 2:38 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger danduderino said...

Ms. Haddrill, I am truly proud of you... "walking the talk". You are giving me a "run for my money" and as I travel the world on "G.W.'s dime" I now find myself re-thinking my air travel plans. Thank you. ADD: I would like to donate some of my G.W. BUSH TOILET PAPER to your cause. Please let me know where to send it.
"Cheers Mitey"

-Dan Duderino, www.PieHole.net
"Makers of G.W. TOILET PAPER"

 
At 2:49 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger Amanda Kendle said...

Barbara, I'm jealous of your trip, really - and the "good cause" aspect is just part of that. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Trans-Siberian, for me it was the experience of a lifetime (see below). But for me the best thing about a journey like this is it gives you time just to be quiet and to be alone with your thoughts, and you're "allowed" to because the purpose of your days is moving along, anything else you do is kind of a bonus. (You can see I'm definitely one of those "it's the journey not the destination" types). Good luck and *enjoy* the trip, really.

cheers
Amanda

First of my series of Trans-Sib articles - http://eeuroperussiatravel.suite101.com/article.cfm/TransSiberian1

 
At 4:32 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger Robert van de Walle said...

Babs, folks like you make me proud of the human species. I hope you have a really excellent journey (and you'd better believe I'll be regularly checking in on your progress!)
You're doing a very important thing, showing us we can stay connected to each other while impacting the earth less.
Stories like yours motivate me to keep moving forward in my own journey towards sustainability.

 
At 4:38 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger Robert van de Walle said...

By the way, for all of us stay-at-homes, follow along with my efforts to green my life at my blog,
Home of the Future

 
At 4:40 pm, August 22, 2006, Blogger Fleur said...

Dear Babs

Good for you - I think this is a fantastic venture that highlights a critical issue

We have included a news piece on our site here

http://www.naturalmatters.net/article.asp?article=2278&cat=12

Pop by and pay us a visit

Have a wonderful journey, all the best
Fleur
http://www.naturalmatters.net

 
At 7:43 am, August 23, 2006, Blogger Dave Sag said...

A commendable effort and well intentioned, and I am sure it will be a thrilling journey. But honestly why not just buy carbon credits to offset your flight? Then you are effectively travelling at zero environmental cost, for only a hundred or so pounds more.

 
At 11:20 am, August 23, 2006, Blogger Francis Molloy said...

I am currently doing this the other way around. Although Im more interested in the adventure of it than emmisions. Just to let you know your definately not alone.

An alternative suggestion(its good to have alternatives as things dont always go as you expect):

You can travel by bus train and boat from singapore through indonesia. If you get to Timor (East or West, there are flights from Dili and Kupang) you can get a plane to Darwin. These planes are not Jets they are propellor driven and it is a short flight to darwin where you can bus to Brisbane.
Im not sure what the emmisions of prop aircraft are compared to Jets but it could be worth checking out if you need another way.

Regards

 
At 9:10 pm, August 23, 2006, Blogger Simba said...

Nice article and great environmental awareness raising. Good luck and more importantly have fun!

From a greenish but trying to be more green person. :)

 
At 9:34 pm, August 26, 2006, Blogger Dan said...

A flight has roughly 2.25 more C02 emissions according to the stats posted here.

But, just thinking here, wouldn't a large plane used to go from the UK to Australia have more than 2.25 times the people on the bus?

 
At 5:11 am, November 07, 2006, Blogger thronger said...

Barbara - I have learnt about your journey and believe it would be cracking fun - and I want to do it now. Fantastic effort.
Are you able to send me the bus/train/ferry company details so I canbook my trip next October? It would be much appreicated.

 
At 5:14 am, November 07, 2006, Blogger thronger said...

Barbara - I have learnt about your journey and believe it would be cracking fun - and I want to do it now. Fantastic effort.Are you able to send me the bus/train/ferry company details so I can book my trip next October? It would be much appreicated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home